Friday, 2 April 2010

Dolce and Gabbana

I completely overlooked the Dolce and Gabbana spring collection, and it's only now that I keep seeing the same floral, red silk shorts and clashing flower print top in editorial after editoral, and keep loving the look, that I've gone back to see what I was missing. The collection didn't really get the 'vibe' that we're all buying into this season; the spring time girliness of pastels, ruffles, draping, all so pretty and, well, just that - pretty. Instead, Dolce and Gabbana took the route of alternative gothic glamour: lots of white and black lace, cross necklaces, stained red lips and those shorts in blood red, with printed white roses in silk - it wasn't too hard to draw a comparison to coffin lining, (there's a definite dark undercurrent to this collection). Nope, there's not a single pastel shade in sight, though a hint of a nude and a nod toward 'double denim' with black lace creeping over it - naturally. The runway saw some masculine tailoring at first, in a simple monochrome palette. It would be kind of perfect for particularly stylish undertaker, though I'm sure undertakers don't make up the the majority of D&G's clientèle. Black and white made a strong base, which really made the red floral prints stand out,and look especially stunning. 

I'm thinking, forget layering up your denim, double florals is the way to go. And if you have to add a dimension of lace, and make the colours more vibrant than muted and soft, so be it. Because already I'm getting sick of the dreamy, girliness - Dolce and Gabbana's dark romance is looking a lot more appealing.

P.S - I might have to pop over to my Nan's and borrow of a few of her hair combs, or hope some vintage ones come into Cow Manchester - I love the dishevelled buns held together with a mishmash of combs.














Photos: style.com

2 comments:

  1. Love that white lace dress so much!

    Did you sort your Blackberry out? I think mine is new, but I haven't checked through the photos! Maybe I should. :) I'm just writing a post about what I spent some of my my-wardrobe on! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pant suit outfit!

    satinsugar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - don't forget to click 'Follow' if you like my blog! :)